Teaching an exam preparation course requires special skills and knowledge. It is these skills and knowledge that TESOL for Test Preparation offers. The four-week course covers the methodology and planning that can be applied to teaching any standardized English language exam. Different types of tests and testing questions are examined in the four skills of reading, listening, speaking, and writing. The exam-specific sections of the course focus on two of the most important academic tests of English: TOEFL iBT and IELTS Academic exam. Course participants are required not only to demonstrate their ability to teach exam preparation classes, but also to show they understand the format, testing points, and scoring systems of these two popular tests.
Type Diploma Program Campus Vancouver Program Length 4 week Diploma program (in-class)
6 week Diploma program (4 weeks in-class + 2-week mandatory practicum)
Schedule 9 am to 3:30 pm Monday to Thursday; 9 am to 2:30 pm Friday (26.5 hours/week) Average Class Size 12 Students Additional Details
- Course Prerequisites: TESOL or TESOL Advanced or follow the Prior Learning Assessment (PLA) policy to have a similar TESOL program from another school approved as a prerequisite.
- Optional practicum is only 2 weeks long and includes one week in a Test Preparation for TOEFL class and one week in a Test Preparation for IELTS class.
Graduation Requirements 70% average upon successful completion of all in-class modules and practicum
- Concepts in Testing - Part 1
- Test Teaching Strategies: Teaching to a Test - Part 1
- Special Topics: Test Day
- Concepts in Testing - Part 2
- Test Teaching Strategies: Class Activities - Part 1
- Special Topics: Practice Materials
- Concepts in Testing - Part 3
- Test Teaching Strategies: Teaching to a Test - Part 2
- Special Topics: Course Planning
- Concepts in Testing - Part 4
- Test Teaching Strategies: Class Activities - Part 2
- Special Topics: Student Improvement
TESOL for Test Preparation Coordinator & Instructor; TESOL & IELTS Instructor
Carole feels honoured to be working with her wonderful and motivated international students here in beautiful downtown Vancouver and maintains that her biggest rewards come from her student's successes. Following a successful corporate career, the attainment of both her Master's Degree and her TESL Canada certification, Carole made the decision five years ago to travel down the very satisfying path of teaching English. Since joining KGIBC-CTC over three years ago, Carole has enjoyed teaching many varied courses and is now thrilled to be coordinating and instructing the very successful TESOL for Test Preparation certificate program.
- Learn teaching skills in a niche educational market
- Gain a solid understanding of standardized language testing
- Apply teaching methodology for teaching to test in a test preparation course
- Understand and apply strategies for teaching the four basic language skills of reading, listening, speaking and writing
- Earn an additional certification in TESOL
Future Career Opportunities
IELTS or TOEFL instructor, tutoring, private academy teaching
Length of Placement
- OnSite Studies = 8 days/44 hours
- Practicum = 2 days/9 hours
Timing of Placement Immediately after the conclusion of the TESOL for Test Preparation in-class hours Place of Placement KGIC Vancouver ESL Campus (IELTS and TOEFL classes)