TESOL for Middle School at KGIBC-CTC is a very demanding yet highly practical and rewarding course that prepares its graduates to teach elementary, middle and high school students. This four-week program takes the techniques and skills learned in TESOL and further develops them as students prepare and deliver two Content-based micro-teaching lessons, Science and Geography, as well as a final ESL/Content-based integrated micro-teaching lesson. TESOL for Middle School also features many opportunities for students to learn and practice their English speaking skills, especially the language commonly used in a classroom situation.
In addition, this course offers a number of fun and exciting field trips (Science World/Vancouver Public Library/Police Museum) that provide inspiration and ideas, in an interesting and hands-on environment, for the students' micro-teaching lessons. And finally, this course is excellent preparation for those students who wish to take the TKT Cambridge Exam, as the Pass TKT textbook is used as an excellent supplementary material AND a free TKT Cambridge Exam sample test is offered to every TESOL for Middle School student. Upon completion of this course, TESOL for Middle School graduates will have earned the right to say "I can teach!"
Type Diploma Program Campuses Vancouver Program Length 4 week Diploma program (in-class)
8 week Diploma program (4 weeks in-class + 4-week mandatory practicum)
Schedule 9 am to 3:30 pm Monday to Thursday; 9 am to 2:30 pm Friday (26.5 hours/week) Average Class Size 12 Students Additional Details
- Course Prerequisites: TESOL or TESOL Advanced or follow the Prior Learning Assessment (PLA) policy to have a similar TESOL program from another school approved as a prerequisite.
- Optional 4 week practicum is held 2 weeks at KGIC Junior’s ESL and 2weeks at a Canadian middle school in the Lower Mainland.
- Practicum student must complete a police record check.
Graduation Requirements 70% average upon successful completion of all in-class modules and practicum
- Teaching Skills Review
- Classroom Language
- Content-Based Instruction
- Classroom Management
- Learning Styles
- Classroom Tasks
- Science Fair
- Teaching Skills Review
- Power Teaching
- ESL/CBI Integration
- Classroom Discipline
- Practicum Session
- ESL/CBI Integration - Materials/Techniques
TESOL for Middle School Coordinator & Instructor; TESOL Adults & TESOL Advanced Coordinator
Pete Hall attended Simon Fraser University, graduating with a B.A in Physical Geography and well as a B.Ed in Teaching. He earned his TESOL Diploma from Vancouver Community College. Pete is an adventurer by heart, and has combined his love for travelling and his passion for teaching and taught in many different countries around the world, including Tanzania, Korea and China. His motto is: "If there are no students in your class, could you do what you are planning to do? If the answer to this question is yes, then don't do it!”
- Earn a TESOL for Middle School diploma in 4 weeks
- Receive a TESOL-M diploma and a TKT certificate
- Improve fluency and accuracy through intensive practical-based speaking opportunities
- Exciting field trips
- Experience teaching during a 4-week practicum in a Canadian middle school
- Take advantage of flexibility in future teaching opportunities (elementary/middle/high school)
Future Career Opportunities
Tutoring, private academy teaching, corporate English training
I am an English teacher in Turkey and TESOL-M will improve my teaching skills. I like this program because I learn different methodologies about teaching English.
Yildiz Cikrikci, Turkey
Length of Placement
- OnSite Studies = 16 days/80 hours
- Practicum = 4 days/20 hours
Timing of Placement Immediately after the conclusion of the TESOL for Middle School in-class hours Place of Placement Split between:
- KGIC Surrey Campus - Junior classes
- Canadian middle school
Important Note Student must obtain a police record check. (Canadian requirement for people working with students 18 years and younger.)