TESOL for Children at KGIBC-CTC is a highly practical course that fully prepares its graduates for the challenging job of teaching English to children. This four week intensive program builds on the skills developed in TESOL as all the subjects are explored from the children's perspective. On learning about physical, cognitive and emotional development, students can then apply that knowledge to teaching topics like reading, writing and phonics. The course also covers the effective use of games, songs, chants and drama, all the while motivating children for long term learning. On completion of this course graduates will be ready to group students and positively discipline them in a wide variety of situations.
Type Diploma Program Campus Vancouver Program Length 4 week Diploma program (in-class)*
8 week Diploma program (4 weeks in-class + 4-week mandatory practicum)
Schedule 9 am to 3:30 pm Monday to Thursday; 9 am to 2:30 pm Friday (26.5 hours/week) Average Class Size 12 Students Additional Details
- Course Prerequisites: TESOL or TESOL Advanced or follow the Prior Learning Assessment (PLA) policy to have a similar TESOL program from another school approved as a prerequisite.
- Optional 4 week practicum can be held at a daycare, preschool, elementary or KGIC Children’s ESL in the Lower Mainland.
- Practicum student must complete a police record check.
Graduation Requirements 70% average upon successful completion of all in-class modules and practicum
- Children as Learners
- Lesson Planning
- Mini Lesson 1: Lead a Game
- Quiz 1
- Teacher Talk
- Songs, Rhymes & Chants
- Group Formation
- Student-Led Activity-Based Micro-Teaching
- Phonics & Spelling
- Mini Lesson 2: Phonetic Rules
- Mini Lesson 3: Storytime
- Quiz 2
- Positive Discipline
- Student-Led Unit Plans Micro-Teaching
Schedule reflects 4-week program only
Dena van Dalfsen
TESOL Coordinator & Instructor; TESOL for Children Coordinator & Instructor
Dena van Dalfsen has travelled widely and speaks three languages. Being a student of foreign languages herself, she understands the triumphs and frustrations of language students. Dena graduated from the University of Victoria with an English and Journalism degree and after winning an award for community journalism, became TESOL certified and taught in Korea, Mexico and Argentina. Dena has been part of the TESOL team at KGIBC-CTC for 6 years.
- Earn a TESOL for Children diploma in 4 weeks*
- Effective copyrighted in-house curriculum
- Daily in-class teaching practices
- One field trip and guest speaker every 4 weeks
- Choose from a 4-week practicum at an elementary school, ESL institution or a daycare
Future Career Opportunities
Daycare, preschool teaching, tutoring, private academy teaching
*only available in Vancouver
Being able to go to an elementary school or kindergarten is an unforgettable experience. I've gotten to see children's reactions to my lessons.
Chieko Abe, Japan
Length of Placement
- OnSite Studies = 16 days/80 hours
- Practicum = 4 days/20 hours
Timing of Placement Immediately after the conclusion of the TESOL for Children in-class hours Place of Placement Student can choose type of practicum: daycare, preschool, elementary or children's ESL at KGIC Surrey Important Note Student must obtain a police record check. (Canadian requirement for people working with students 18 years and younger.)