TESOL at KGIBC-CTC is the original program and the definitive course to learn how to teach English to speakers of other languages. This four week intensive program covers the four mains skills (listening, speaking, reading and writing), as well as the key systems (lexis, phonology, grammar) inherent in language teaching. Our program is full of practical teaching tips and multiple opportunities to practice the skills as they're taught. On completion of this course graduates will have the knowledge and skills to step into the classroom.
Type Certificate Program Campus Vancouver Program Length 4 week Certificate program (in-class)
8 week Certificate program (4 weeks in-class + 4-week mandatory practicum)
Schedule 9 am to 3:30 pm Monday to Thursday; 9 am to 2:30 pm Friday (26.5 hours/week) Average Class Size 12 Students Additional Details
- No course prerequisites but students must meet the language proficiency entrance requirement.
- Students who successfully complete TESOL are eligible to take TESOL for Children, TESOL for Middle School, TESOL for Adults, and TESOL for Test Preparation.
- Best suited for international students who plan on returning to their country to teach. Native English speakers and higher level non-native English speakers are encouraged to check out our TESOL Advanced course.
Graduation Requirements 70% average upon successful completion of all in-class modules and practicum
- Icebreakers, Warm Ups & Teacher Talk
- Learning Factor & Methodologies
- Lesson Planning
- Mini Lesson: Instructions & CCQs
- Quiz 1
- Mini Lesson 2: Teach Vocabulary
- Student-Led Reading Micro-Teaching
- Mini Lesson 3: Realia/Memento
- Oral Error Correction
- Mini Lesson 4: Speaking
- Quiz 2
- Written Error Correction
- Student-Led Grammar Micro-Teaching
Dena van Dalfsen
TESOL Coordinator & Instructor; TESOL for Children Coordinator & Instructor
Dena van Dalfsen has travelled widely and speaks three languages. Being a student of foreign languages herself, she understands the triumphs and frustrations of language students. Dena graduated from the University of Victoria with an English and Journalism degree and after winning an award for community journalism, became TESOL certified and taught in Korea, Mexico and Argentina. Dena has been part of the TESOL team at KGIBC-CTC for 6 years.
- Earn a TESOL certificate in 4 weeks
- Tailor-made innovative content of in-house curriculum
- Committed, experienced instructors
- Multiple opportunities for practical skill development
- Endless speaking opportunities
- Flexibility to direct content to future employment goals
- Purposely designed to fully prepare students choosing to continue into a specialty TESOL program
Future Career Opportunities
Tutoring, private academy teaching, corporate English training
Length of Placement
- OnSite Studies = 16 days/80 hours
- Practicum = 4 days/18.5 hours
Timing of Placement Immediately after the conclusion of the TESOL in-class hours Place of Placement KGIC Vancouver ESL Campus